Thursday, May 2, 2013

Day 3

Day 3 I started later than expected, I wanted Henry to add the black crate I brought (just in case I could load it with Donate Life materials that were FedExed to me in Santa Cruz from Lifesharing in SD. Henry attached the crate just as I imagined, and I was able to load a "crate full" of supplies to hand out to people. It worked!

The best added feature to my equipment, attaching a pink dot to my rear view mirror.

I pedaled off from Santa Cruz with the first stop at the local community college. However, I happened upon a community hospital within the first 5 miles, Dominican Hospital. Though it is a general hospital I felt it couldn't hurt to share the message of Donate Life. These wonderful volunteers listen to Project MOM and listened to me as I explained the ongoing need for Californians to register to be a donor regardless if they have a pink dot on their license. I LOVE volunteers!

Just down the road from Dominican was Sutter Maternity Hospital. I was able to leave materials with the Executive Assistant to the administration, she declined a photo with me. When I rode off thinking, "why would she not want to participate in Project Mom?" Then it occurred to me, here I am dressed in screaming yellow bike gear, wearing a helmet with a pink donor dot attached to my rear-view mirror, with a big smile wanting to share the message of "share your life, share your decision." Geez, now I can only imagine what she was thinking! I took her card and will follow up with a note.

I am anxious to gain ground and took off like a "mom on a mission", destination, Cabrillo Community College. Luckily, the campus is right on my path.

I arrive on the campus of Cabrillo Community College on head to the "Wellness Center", which happens to be a new state-of-the art gym facility for students. It is beautiful and I got there when the doors opened for business so I almost looked like I was going in for a workout, almost. I was well received by the manager and he and an employee obliged me with taking the inflatable pink dots, pens, green wristbands, and most importantly, the bookmarks that give the link for every one to go onto the registry to register to become a hero to someone else. Awesome! Thanks Greg and Fernando!!

As I left the wellness center, I walked by students who were enjoying their lunch and chatting. These students listened to me as I shared Project MOM. Thank you Steve, Lynn and Felicia!

Just before leaving the campus I sat down to eat an apple and noticed a stunning sculpture. I stopped a student that was entering into the building of the Stroke and Disability Center and asked about it. Sharon has Parkinson's and is wheel chair bound. She explained that the sculpture and wall mural were created by students and staff of the center. I was so touched by this work if "heart."

I have to close, but have more to add about this day - later! Need to get on the road to Big Sur!



















2 comments: